Wagtail is a Django content management system built originally for the Royal College of Art and focused on flexibility and user experience. Its features include:
- A fast, attractive editor interface
- Complete control over design with standard Django templates
- Configure content types through standard Django models
- Tightly integrated search (with an Elasticsearch backend for production)
- Strong document and image management
- Wide support for embedded content
- Simple, configurable permissions
- Support for tree-based content organisation
- Optional preview->submit->approve workflow
- Fast out of the box. Varnish-friendly if you need it
- Tests! But not enough; we're working hard to improve this
- To get you up and running quickly, we've provided a demonstration site with all the configuration in place, at github.com/torchbox/wagtaildemo; see the README for installation instructions.
- See the Getting Started docs for installation (with the demo app) on a fresh Debian/Ubuntu box with production-ready dependencies, on OS X and on a Vagrant box.
- Serafeim Papastefanos has written a tutorial with all the steps to build a simple Wagtail site from scratch.
If you're a Python or Django developer, fork the repo and get stuck in! Send us a useful pull request and we'll post you a t-shirt. Our immediate priorities are better docs, more tests, internationalisation and localisation.